Greetings to all readers! If you or your loved one have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, a rare and aggressive cancer caused by asbestos exposure, finding the right lawyer can make a significant difference in your legal and financial recovery. As an experienced journalist, I have gathered extensive information about the best mesothelioma lawyers in Delaware who have helped numerous clients obtain millions of dollars in compensation for their medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. In this journal article, you will learn about the following topics:
Part 1: Understanding Mesothelioma and Asbestos Exposure
What is mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that affects the lining of the lungs, abdomen, or heart, caused by inhaling or swallowing asbestos fibers. The latency period between asbestos exposure and mesothelioma diagnosis can range from 20 to 50 years, making it difficult to detect early and treat effectively.
What are the signs and symptoms of mesothelioma?
The symptoms of mesothelioma vary depending on the location and stage of the cancer, but may include:
|Common symptoms||Less common symptoms|
|Shortness of breath||Coughing up blood|
|Chest or abdominal pain||Nausea or vomiting|
|Fatigue or weakness||Swelling of the face or arms|
If you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately and tell your doctor about your history of asbestos exposure.
How does asbestos exposure occur?
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that was widely used in construction, insulation, automotive, and other industries until the 1980s, when its harmful effects became known. When asbestos-containing materials are disturbed or damaged, they release microscopic fibers that can be inhaled or swallowed by people nearby. Workers who handle asbestos directly or work in environments with high levels of asbestos exposure are at the highest risk of developing mesothelioma.
Part 2: Choosing the Right Delaware Mesothelioma Lawyer
Why do I need a mesothelioma lawyer?
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be entitled to compensation from the companies that exposed you to asbestos. However, pursuing a mesothelioma claim can be complex and time-consuming, requiring specialized knowledge of the law, medicine, and industry practices. Hiring a mesothelioma lawyer can help you:
- Identify the parties responsible for your asbestos exposure
- Gather and analyze your medical and work history records
- Negotiate with the defendants’ insurers and legal teams
- File and litigate a mesothelioma lawsuit if necessary
- Maximize your compensation through settlements or verdicts
What should I look for in a Delaware mesothelioma lawyer?
When choosing a mesothelioma lawyer in Delaware, consider the following factors:
- Experience: Look for a lawyer who has handled many mesothelioma cases and has a track record of success
- Expertise: Choose a lawyer who specializes in mesothelioma litigation and has a deep understanding of the medical and scientific aspects of the disease
- Resources: Make sure the lawyer has the staff, technology, and financial resources to investigate your case thoroughly and prepare it for trial if necessary
- Communication: Find a lawyer who communicates clearly and frequently with you, answers your questions promptly, and keeps you informed about the progress of your case
- Compassion: Select a lawyer who understands the emotional and financial toll of mesothelioma on you and your family, and who treats you with respect and empathy
Who are the best mesothelioma lawyers in Delaware?
Based on research and recommendations from industry experts and former clients, the following are some of the top mesothelioma lawyers in Delaware:
1. Weitz & Luxenberg
Weitz & Luxenberg is a national law firm with over 30 years of experience in mesothelioma and asbestos litigation. The firm has won over $8.5 billion in verdicts and settlements for its clients, including many mesothelioma victims in Delaware.
Among Weitz & Luxenberg’s mesothelioma lawyers are:
- Robert Gordon: A senior trial attorney with over 25 years of experience in mesothelioma, lung cancer, and other asbestos-related cases. Gordon has recovered millions of dollars for his clients and has been recognized by Super Lawyers and the National Trial Lawyers as a top attorney in his field.
- Adam Cooper: A trial attorney who has worked on mesothelioma and asbestos cases for more than a decade. Cooper has secured many multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients and has been named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers.
- Benjamin Wilensky: An attorney who focuses on asbestos litigation and has represented hundreds of mesothelioma victims and their families. Wilensky has obtained significant recoveries for his clients and has been recognized by Super Lawyers and the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys.
2. Simmons Hanly Conroy
Simmons Hanly Conroy is a national law firm that specializes in mesothelioma and other complex litigation, with offices in Wilmington, Delaware. The firm has recovered more than $7 billion in verdicts and settlements for its clients, including many mesothelioma victims in Delaware and across the country.
Among Simmons Hanly Conroy’s mesothelioma lawyers are:
- Michael Angelides: An attorney who has represented mesothelioma and asbestos victims for over 20 years. Angelides has obtained many multimillion-dollar recoveries for his clients and has been honored by Super Lawyers and the National Trial Lawyers as one of the top attorneys in his field.
- John Barnerd: An attorney who focuses on mesothelioma litigation and has recovered millions of dollars for his clients. Barnerd has been recognized by Best Lawyers and the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys as a leading mesothelioma lawyer.
- Sara Salger: An attorney who has represented mesothelioma and asbestos victims for over a decade. Salger has obtained significant results for her clients and has been named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers.
3. Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney & Strauss
Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney & Strauss is a national law firm that focuses exclusively on mesothelioma and asbestos litigation. The firm has represented thousands of mesothelioma victims and their families across the United States, including many in Delaware.
Among Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney & Strauss’s mesothelioma lawyers are:
- James Early: A founding member of the firm and a pioneer in mesothelioma litigation, with over 40 years of experience. Early has helped secure billions of dollars in compensation for his clients and has been recognized by Best Lawyers, Super Lawyers, and the National Trial Lawyers as a top mesothelioma lawyer.
- Sean Tracey: An attorney who has been fighting for mesothelioma and asbestos victims for over 25 years. Tracey has achieved many multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients and has been named a Super Lawyer and a Best Lawyer.
- Michael Armitage: An attorney who focuses on mesothelioma and asbestos cases and has represented hundreds of clients in Delaware and other states. Armitage has obtained many significant recoveries for his clients and has been recognized by Super Lawyers and the National Trial Lawyers.
Part 3: Filing a Mesothelioma Claim in Delaware
What are the statutes of limitations for mesothelioma claims in Delaware?
Statutes of limitations are legal time limits that dictate how long you have to file a mesothelioma claim after your diagnosis or the death of a loved one. The statutes of limitations for mesothelioma claims in Delaware are:
- Two years from the date of mesothelioma diagnosis for personal injury claims
- Two years from the date of death for wrongful death claims
It is crucial to file your claim within the applicable statute of limitations, as failure to do so may result in your claim being time-barred and your inability to recover any compensation.
What is the Delaware Asbestos Trust Fund?
The Delaware Asbestos Trust Fund is a special fund that was established to compensate mesothelioma victims whose exposure occurred in Delaware and whose responsible companies have gone bankrupt or dissolved. The fund is administered by the Delaware Department of Justice and has over $50 million in assets.
To file a claim with the Delaware Asbestos Trust Fund, you must meet certain eligibility criteria and provide evidence of your asbestos exposure and medical diagnosis. A mesothelioma lawyer can help you navigate the trust fund process and maximize your recovery.
What compensation can I recover through a mesothelioma claim in Delaware?
Through a mesothelioma claim in Delaware, you may be able to recover several types of compensation, including:
- Medical expenses, including past, present, and future costs of treatment, medication, and rehabilitation
- Lost wages and income, including past and future losses due to your mesothelioma diagnosis and treatment
- Pain and suffering, including physical and emotional damages caused by your mesothelioma, and its impact on your quality of life
- Punitive damages, in rare cases where the defendant’s conduct was particularly egregious or malicious
Conclusion: Contacting a Delaware Mesothelioma Lawyer
If you or your loved one have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, don’t hesitate to seek legal help from a Delaware mesothelioma lawyer who has the knowledge, experience, and compassion to fight for your rights and interests. Contact one of the firms mentioned above or another reputable mesothelioma law firm for a free case evaluation and consultation. Remember, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by pursuing compensation for the harm caused by asbestos exposure. Thanks for reading this journal article and I hope it has been informative and helpful to you.